There is no direct mention in the Bible concerning the Investment program. Nevertheless, it has roots in the parable of the talents (Matt. 25:14-30). “The talents which God has entrusted to us, whether they be large or small, whether they be money or strength or time, are talents for which we are responsible and we should invest them. As we do, God will multiply them for the finishing of His work” (Nash and Parker, Investment: The Miracle Offering).
Investment is not simply another offering; it is a plan whereby an individual invests money, time, or effort in a faithful partnership with God for the purpose of supporting His world mission. It is a contract bound by faith. Above all we should remember that God is the senior partner in any Investment project. As we invest with God as a partner we will be laying up treasures in heaven. “For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also” (Matt. 6:21).
Even though your best-laid plans may not seem to materialize just as you might desire, and the return from your investment seems small, be true to your work and God will surely reward your efforts.
“However small your talent, God has a place for it. That one talent, wisely used, will accomplish its appointed work. By faithfulness in little duties, we are able to work on the plan of addition, and God will work for us on the plan of multiplication. These littles will become the most precious influences in His work” (Ellen G. White, Christ’s Object Lessons).
Duties of the Investment Leader:
The ministry to which a person is called when he or she becomes an Investment leader will include the following duties:
- Promote investment at all age levels. You, or someone you designate, should promote Investment in each division of Sabbath School on a regular monthly schedule. Ideally, the presentations would begin in January and conclude in November. Choosing the same Sabbath each month makes it easy for the division leaders to plan and remember. Possibly the second Sabbath of each month would be appropriate.
- Investment materials. Plan far enough ahead so you can have the Investment leaflets and goal devices in hand the Sabbath you introduce your Investment plan. Leaflets can be ordered from your local conference.
- Setting goals. At the beginning of the year, you should meet with the Sabbath School leaders to plan for the year’s activities. In consultation with the previous Investment leader and the current division leaders come to an agreement on a suitable goal. Keep a goal chart in a central location to show the funds being raised and the percentage of members participating.
- Keep records. Meet with the church treasurer on a regular basis to keep track of the money being turned in for Investment. Give progress reports in your monthly presentations to the divisions. It is also your responsibility to gather the information from your various division leaders regarding the number of health food labels received. Send this compiled report to your local conference Church Ministries Department for the refund.
- Communicate. It is your responsibility to keep the church members informed as to the progress of the Investment plan, and what the funds are used for. Keep the needs of world mission before the congregation and show them how the Investment plan makes a specific, significant contribution. It is also appreciated when Investment leaders send success stories and accompanying pictures to the church ministries department of the local conference to be used in conference newsletters and union papers.
The following resources are recommended for your ministry. You can purchase these by calling AdventSource (800-328-0525), the Adventist Book Center (800-765-6955) or your local Christian bookstore.
- I’ve Seen Miracles (1999) by Thurman C. Petty, Jr. A “how-to” story book of Sabbath School investment.
- Sabbath School Leader is the North American Division journal for Sabbath School. A special feature for Investment leaders is included in each issue. It is published monthly in English by the Review & Herald Publishing Association, and quarterly in Spanish and French. You can ask your church Sabbath School or church ministries secretary to add your name to the list of those who should be receiving a copy, or you can order a personal subscription through your Adventist Book Center at 1-800-765-6955 or www.adventistbookcenter.com.
- Step into a Life of Miracles is a brochure on investment opportunities with an updated yearly insert of Investment projects.
- Visit AdventSource On-Line at www.adventsource.org for a complete list of the latest resources available for local church leaders. You can place an order or request a catalog by calling 1-800-328-0525.
For information about additional resources and answers to your questions call the Adventist Plusline at 1-800-732-7587 or visit them on-line at www.plusline.org.